I thought it would be fun to share an old video I made about the Dreamcast game Cannon Spike, seeing as how this is The Dreamcast’s 20th anniversary and all! Enjoy?
I have a used Sailor Moon R VHS tape that I bought for 10 yen back in 2010 from what I believe was a rental shop. It has this logo on for something that is known as the Hero Club. I assume that this is just a line of VHS tapes to introduce newcomers to a new anime series by having like the first episode or two on them, possibly with some exclusive narration on it? I haven’t watched the tape since 2010 though, and even then… I don’t speak Japanese? Anyways, I think my Sailor Moon R tape looks cool, even if it’s not very functional. I just wish I knew more about The Hero Club.
<Update> So, I found out more about the Hero Club! Here’s a copy and waste from the wiki article on Tokupedia!
Hero Club (ヒーロークラブ Hīrō Kurabu, HERO CLUB) is aseries of Toei Video releases, on VHS from 1988 to 2004 before beginning on DVD from 2003, featuring children’s tokusatsu superhero works of Toei. The recording time is 30 minutes per volume.
In the VHS era, Toei Animation also dealt with animated works produced, but after the transition to DVD it is only composed of tokusatsu
Below are some pictures that I found around the web, mostly from Amazon.jp, of Hero Club titles!
I recently went to Anime Austin 2019, and well… I’m done. The first convention I ever went to was Oni-Con in 2004. for years, I was haunted by the fact that I lost the convention badge from my first convention. Now, I find that laughable, considering the last few I haven’t even cared to preserve.
While I will have a further retrospective on the last… fifteen? I seriously spent more time going to conventions than I did from Elementary to High School?! *sigh*
Anyways, so here are a bunch of random photos that I took, or had taken for me with my camera… and yeah… A lot of fun stuff there.
I hope everyone is having a happy great Throwback Thursday!
Oh wow… This year is the 20th anniversary of the ending of The 90’s, huh? Here is a look back at my childhood? A mixture of politics, TV, comics, movies, and video games I’m afraid… with no real order besides year.
- 1990 – South Africa frees Nelson Mandela, Margaret Thatcher resigns, Back to The Future 3, Tiny Toons, Fox Kids, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (movie), The Super Nintendo, Rugrats, Ducktales The Movie, Rescuers Down Under, Home Alone, Die Hard 2, Fox’s Peter Pan & the Pirates
- 1991 – Gulf War, Cold War ends, The World Wide Web, America Online (DOS), The Simpsons (Arcade), Turtles in Time (arcade) Sonic The Hedgehog (Genesis), Tiny Toons music special introduces me to They Might Be Giants’ Particle Man, Dark Wing Duck, Doug, Beauty And The Beast, Street Fighter II, Switch, Don’t Tell Mom the Babysitter’s Dead, Hook, Dutch, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze
- 1992 – Hurricane Andrew, America Online (Windows), Mortal Kombat, X-men arcade cabinet, Wolfenstein 3D, Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Cartoon Network, Batman The Animated Series, X-Men, Aladdin, The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past, Malibu Comic’s Protectors starts, Buffy The Vampire Slayer (TV), Ferngully: The Last Rain Forest, Nick launches SNICK (Saturday Night Nick), Batman Returns, X-Men: X-Cutioner’s Song, Spawn (comic) Sega CD (US) ADV Films (founded) The Death of Superman
- 1993 – President Bill Clinton, World Trade Center bombed, Waco, Mortal Kombat II, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III, DOOM, Animaniacs, Louis & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, The X-Files, Groundhog Day, Mrs. Doubtfire, Super Mario All-Stars, Malibu comics makes The Ultraverse, The Secret Garden, Demolition Man, Robin Hood: Men in Tights, Super Mario Bros. (movie) The Simpsons – “Marge vs. the Monorail,” Late Night With Conan O’Brien, Ranma 1/2 licensed by Viz Media
- 1994 – NAFTA, Paula Jones accuses Clinton, O.J. Simpson’s ex wife murdered, John Candy Dies, Doom 2, Final Fantasy III (actually VI), Tiny Toon’s Spring Break, Power Rangers in Prime Time, Gargoyles, Spider-Man, Reboot, The Tick, The Magic School Bus, AH! real Monsters, The Lion King, The Mask(film), Ultraverse cartoon from DiC, Forest Gump, Dumb & Dumber, Playstation, Marvel comics buys Malibu Comics, Marvel cancels many Malibu comics including The Protectors at issue 20., Spider-Man Clone Saga starts, Super Gameboy, The Wedding of Jean Grey and Cyclops, Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, Interview With The Vampire, The Critic, All That, Generation X (comic), Sega 32X
- 1995 – Oklahoma City Bombing, O.J. Simpson acquitted, Selena murdered (age 23) Kids WB,Pink & The Brain, Sailor Moon, Freakazoid, A Goofy Movie, Pocahontas, Toy Story, Batman Forever, Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie, X-Men: Children of The Atom (US), Marvel Super Heroes, Sega Saturn (US) Sailor Moon (US)
- 1996 – Bill Clinton re-elected, Quake, Tomb Raider, DC Versus Marvel / Marvel vs. DC, The Daily Show with Craig Kilborn, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Scream, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Marvel files for bankruptcy, Spider-Man clone Saga ends, Twister, Space Jam, Mighty Morphin Alien Rangers, Power Rangers Zeo, X-Men’s Onslaught Saga, Nintendo 64, Resident Evil (PSX), Dragon Ball Z (US) Ghost in The Shell (US)
- 1997 – President Clinton’s 2nd term, Chris Farley dies, Toonami, Daria, King of The Hill, Hercules, Titanic, Star Ship Troopers, Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, Malibu comics Night Man on TV, Selena (movie), Batman & Robin, Scream 2, Buffy The Vampire Slayer (TV), Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie, Power Rangers Turbo, Spawn (movie), Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes, Golden Eye (Nintendo 64) Final Fantasy VII, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Married with Children ends (11 seasons)
- 1998 – Clinton-Lewinsky scandal, Phil Hartman murdered by wife, Half-Life, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 2, Godzilla, Google, Powerpuff girls, The Big Lebowski, Spider-Girl first appears, Practical Magic, You’ve Got Mail, Celebrity Death Match, Half Baked, Power Rangers in Space, X-Men vs. Street Fighter (US), Blade (movie), Pokemon Red & Blue, Pokemon (anime) Dragon Ball Z hits Toonami
- 1999 – Clinton acquitted of charges, Columbine High School massacre, Fear of Y2K, Star Wars: Episode I, Sailor Moon’s “Lunar Eclipse” airs on Toonami, Tom takes over Toonami, Ed, Edd, n Eddy, Buffy The Vampire Slayer episode Earshot is postponed as well as the season finally of that season’s Mayor arc due to… Columbine massacre, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, Batman Beyond, Digimon Adventure, Doug’s 1st Movie, The Sixth Sense, Fight Club, The Blair Witch Project, The Dreamcast, Malibu comic’s Nightman ends, The Matrix, South Park The Movie, Pokemon The First Movie, The Green Mile, Power Rangers: Lost Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. (Nintendo 64)
Yeah. that was pretty much the 90’s. I threw in a few things I didn’t care about until later, but for the most part, that’s either stuff that I liked or happened during one of the most important decades ever… at least to me?
Like many people, I missed out of the NES Classic when it originally came out, which I was all right with… but then the SNES Classic came out and I quickly reserved it, despite being on vacation to see THE MOON Blought out THE SUN! Scalpers tried to do what scalpers always do… but they failed as Nintendo was ready this time… and the SNES was plentiful… and then Nintendo laughed at everyone who paid outrageous prices on Ebay for the NES classic… and re-released that… which I have that one as well.
Eh??? They are all right? I do not play them as often as I should though, sadly, so I let my nieces borrow them. They enjoyed them for a bit, but they misplaced at least one of the Nintendo branded USB chargers… awesome. Controllers use Wii Classic controller ports, are compatible with those, and outside of short NES cable cords… it’s all right?
People have been modding these two miniature consoles for a while now… but I just… never jumped onto that train? I had problems playing the SNES classic on a hotel’s tv because the timing was off, and it did not let me put it on the gaming channel for it. Awesome.
BAM! Then the Commodore 64 mini was announced and I didn’t care! Then Bam! Playstation Classic came out with the original original playstation controller that has no analog sticks! That sucks… but hey, I later bought it for $40 at Best buy 3 weeks ago or so? Mr. Driller, Rayman, and Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo! Not interested in most of the other games, and a ton of them play bad because they are European which ran slightly slower than the NTSC counterpart! Abe’s Oddesy already played slow when jumping, and now… *sigh* But hey, I can mod this thing easily… sort of!
I broke down when The Commodre 64 mini went on for cheap! California Games! Chip’s Challenge! YEAH!!!! And hey… Jump Man 1 and 2, and… Impossible Mission? *PLAY VOICE CLIP* O_O wtf?! Okay…
And fittingly… it broke. Froze, stopped turning on, blah blah. C64 was always something that I… never played much of? My brother’s friend or my dad’s co-worker’s older son had one, and I saw Frogger on it, and Mario Bros and Donkey Kong? Being a kid in the late 80’s, early 90’s was weird… because you never knew what the hell kind of gaming systems you saw/played/were exposed to when you try and look back into your memories. Those games are.. not on this mini, of course… which I no longer own, because it was broken. The USB controller was kind of too stiff, and did not play well. Chip’s Challenge kind of looks terrible compaired to the Windows port… which apparently is different from the version on Steam. Bummer.
I loved that weird controller though, and I really shouldn’t have returned my broken console, as the price of the USB controller is comperable to what I bought the system for originally. It was fun to play Zelda on an emulator to test out this weird controller. *sigh*
Going back to the Playstation Classic… I’m going to say something that might be a little controversial. Playstation Games are bad versions of a lot of my favorite games. Loading is terrible, so why mod it and play say… Tomb Raider when you can play it on Steam which probably loads and looks better in 2019?!
Seriously… FFVII is great, but no Tactics? I can mod the system to play fighting games… but MVC 1 doesn’t allow switching out your characters, sprites were dropped for speed, Capcom vs. SNK 1, eh… Darkstalkers 3 has more characters than the arcade counter part… and this version of Mortal Kombat Trilogy only really exists on Playstation… but *BLEEP* I bought too good of a USB 2 drive and so I kept having it corrupt Auto Bleem or something? And *sigh* I kept having it pausing during a fighting game over and over and yeah… super lame! I guess I will buy a worse USB drive eventually.
So… there was not an N64 classic to compete with the Playstation classic. Sega and Atari have made some previous attempts to cash in on plug and play systems… but eh? I just pre-ordered the latest classic, The Sega Genesis Classic, because it has a great line up of games, the emulation looks better than what was done by At Games by leaps and bounds, and hey! Tetris! It comes with two 3 button controller, which is lame… but you can buy some Sega approved 6 button ones made by a 3rd party that also works on your pc via USB!
I should mention that there is a Neo Geo miniature classic thing, that is just bad… even in the hands of Athena Asamiya
But where’s a Master System classic? Oh well I guess.
Overall miniature retro game systems can be great fun that you could share with the next generation or a romantic partner… but will probably just keep on a shelf most of the time because they look adorable? Oh, Darius on the Genesis classic is a BRAND NEW GAME! And hey… Tetris?!
Today is the first day of poetry month, and I of course thought I’d start things off with one of my first poems, The Moon Kiss. It’s um… about Sailor Moon? *sigh* I wrote it over 15 years ago in 10th grade so… *sigh* it’s terrible. Enjoy?
The Moon Kiss –
Coming from a palace on the moon,
she is waiting for her love to come soon.
He is her romance,
and makes her want to dance,
he is hopefully coming soon.
He leaves to greet his great love,
for she is as beautiful as a dove.
With lips red like cherries,
and as innocent as the fairies,
he is off to meet his love.
The prince beholds his beautiful princess,
she in a lovely white dress,
they meet in the garden,
and their love starts to harden,
their undying love they do confess.
I worked at an Amazon Fulfillment center roughly 4-5 years ago for the holidays making $10/hr for 3-5 hours a day. I remember them explaining how co-workers complaining about this or that, and one of the things was the pay. $10 an hour was better than I was making at a grocery store after 3 or 4 years of service at the time, so I was baffled.
On a regular day, you go in through a metal detector before your shift, making sure that you do not have you cell phone on you and that you aren’t stealing, and then after clocking in via Kronos and checking what you are doing that day, you head over for your scanners as well as announcements/stretching.
One of the positions is grabbing boxes off of a conveyor belt, scan the box, find the pallet it goes on, scan the floor where the pallet is, place it on it, and repeat. Supervisors would watch you, and if you were going slow, they would tell you that they had been watching you, and that you need to speed up. That sucks. I would pray to not have to do a job that uses a scanner.
In the all concrete building, with high security, constantly being monitored, having to take your break at a certain time, etc. It kind of felt like how I could imagine jail would feel… although, if you worked hard enough during Christmas time you might end up winning a free TV!
While all of that sucks… I’ve been treated similarly. I work at a grocery store. I’ve had managers call me on my phone on my register, and say ‘You’re in the red. Why are you not scanning more items in a minute? You need to speed things up, as you shouldn’t have that many people in your line.’ We have a heat sensor that tells how many people are in a line, btw.
A different job I held in 2010 was over the phone tech support for AT&T U-verse. Phone calls were supposed to only last so many minutes, and you would be reprimanded for habitually going over. Also, there would be times when you would immediately go from one call to the next. Also, you had to dial a number into your phone to go to the bathroom, and dial back in… only have so many minutes per day for bathroom breaks.
The Young Turks talk about an Amazon employee talking about their working conditions, and yeah… it sucks? But… I mean… this isn’t new?
*sigh* I don’t know what to say. Does it suck? Yeah? …. …. that’s why I only worked there for the holiday?